Thursday, February 21, 2008

printing embroidery patterns

well, I tried a 'trick' I found at http://www.quiltbus.com/freezer.htm

They say:
Freezer paper can also help you to print on fabric. For example, if you would like to personalize your labels, you can iron your freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric, cut it to just shy of 8 ½" x 11" so stray threads don’t get caught in the printer, and print your labels on the fabric. The freezer paper gives the fabric just enough body to go through the printer as if it were a piece of paper.

So off I troddle (cause I don't feel well at all today - and since I needed cough drops anyway...) down to our little store. However, the only freezer paper they have is PLASTIC coated :-(

I just don't think that's such a good idea...
So I get my cough drops, back to the house, and try waxed paper. No. I try spray starch - LOTS AND LOTS of spray starch. No - the paper won't adhere to the fabric. hmmmm - so I melt up a bit of parafin and quickly (so very quickly cause it's hardening mid air on the brush...) paint the paper and iron it to the fabric. No. I have a WELL starched and waxy piece of fabric and a waxy piece of paper. hmmmmm.

So I tape the edge of the fabric to the edge of a sheet of cardstock, and shove the darned thing in the printer. ha!

And I hit print. Well, it printed well enough I'm happy to say, it just didnt feed early enough for the print so my shepardess pattern is without a head. But ever so lovely a print it was :-)

My camera won't talk to Vista on this machine, so I'll post a scan asap.

I intend to figure this out. I'll let you know when I try it again :-)

No comments: